Upgrading your home’s windows to impact windows is a wise investment if you’re a Miami homeowner. Not only are you protecting your home against hurricane damage, but you are also adding to the value of your home. Making the decision to purchase impact windows is easy. However, the next step of choosing an impact window contractor might take a little bit more effort on your part. You need to make sure that the contractor is experienced with installing impact windows.
You will not experience the complete benefits of your windows if they aren’t properly installed. But most importantly, your manufacturer’s warranty could be voided if the windows are installed incorrectly or you do not use a professional contractor.
Here are some tips to help you choose your impact window contractor.
Have a Good Idea of What You Want
You should have a good idea of what you want to accomplish with your impact window installation. Before beginning your search for a window contractor, you should know what windows you want to replace and what your budget will be.
Ask Friends and Family for Recommendations
Friends or family members that have had impact windows installed in their homes can be a great source for finding an impact window installer. They can also be a great resource for finding out what you should expect during the installation, including:
- How much you could expect to pay for impact windows?
- What was the quality of workmanship from their contractor?
- How long did it take to complete their project?
- What was the level of customer service they received?
- How were any problems handled?
Interview at Least 3 Impact Window Contractors
It’s a good idea to interview at least three impact window contractors before deciding which one to hire. You should visit the contractors’ showroom or that of the impact window manufacturers that they represent. During your interviews, make sure to ask the following questions:
- Are they licensed and insured? (Make sure to get copies of both!)
- How many projects do they run at the same time?
- What, if any permits will be needed?
- Who will be installing your windows?
- Are their technicians certified by the window manufacturer?
- What warranties are offered on the window and their workmanship?
- Do they keep record of customer satisfaction ratings?
- Can the contractor provide you with customer references?
Do Your Homework
Armed with information from your interviews, you need to verify the information that the contractors provided you with. This means verifying they are licensed and insured. You should then check to see if the contractor has any negative ratings with the Better Business Bureau, Google, Angie’s List, Home Advisor or any regulatory boards or consumer reporting agencies. Check with local court records to make sure that the window contractor has not had any recent lawsuits filed against them by customers.
Work Out a Timeline
Once you select a contractor, you need to discuss a timeline for your project. A start and expected finish date should be agreed upon, along with what time workers will arrive to begin work each day. You should request a written contract that details the payment arrangements that you have made with the contractor. If you have any questions or concerns, you should always be able to call the contractor to discuss them.
In the Miami area, Alco Windows and Doors is the impact window contractor homeowners can rely on. Alco:
- Is a family owned business with over 20 years of experience in the industry
- Uses certified contractors
- Is fully licensed and insured
- Offers 100% financing and lifetime warranties
Call us or schedule your free estimate today!