There's nothing like feeling safe and secure in your home. If you've not invested in quality impact windows and doors and live in Palm Beach County, you could be risking your property. Residents of this hurricane-prone area often think about impact windows due to the risk of strong winds from severe storms. Building codes and standards have become more stringent since Hurricane Andrew, which means people in West Palm Beach need to consider impact door and window installation to protect against these destructive winds.
Check out our guide to learn more about the need for impact windows in Palm Beach County.
Benefits of Impact-Resistant Windows
Impact-resistant windows provide several benefits, but the primary one is hurricane protection. Besides increasing your home's security, real estate value, energy savings, and lowering insurance premiums, impact-resistant windows offer a reliable shield against hurricanes.
High winds can launch projectiles at or through your home during a Palm Beach hurricane, creating a dangerous situation. The likelihood of this happening is relatively high. Hurricanes can propel large objects at speeds exceeding 175 mph, posing a significant threat to your safety and property.
Here are more benefits of impact Palm Beach Windows:
- Enhanced security: There is a burglary every 5 seconds in FL. Impact windows provide an extra layer of security against break-ins. Their robust construction makes it hard for burglars to break through.
- Energy efficiency: Impact-resistant windows can improve energy efficiency by reducing heat transfer, helping to lower cooling and heating costs.
- UV protection: Impact windows can block up to 99% of UV rays, preserving interior furnishings and preventing fading due to sun exposure.
- Improved house appeal: They enhance the home's aesthetics, making it more attractive to potential buyers or visitors.
- Added real estate value: Homes with impact-resistant windows often command higher resale values.
- Insurance premiums: Installing these windows can lead to reduced insurance premiums due to increased storm protection in Palm Beach County.
- Home comfort: Rooms on the south and west sides of homes get the hottest. Impact products keep the entire home at an even temperature.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Windows
Before installing new windows or replacing your old ones with impact windows, there are some key factors to consider. These include:
#1. Do Your Homework
Start by educating yourself. Researching the best impact windows in Palm Beach can help you decide. You can check out content from The National Glass Association and browse Energy Star publications & reports.
#2. Opt for New Window Frame Material
Some companies use recycled or reclaimed window frame materials in their impact window, and they might try to convince you to use their products. DON'T. Although recycling is often promoted as an eco-friendly option, the truth is that recycled products are typically of lower quality than their new counterparts. As a result, these products may be more prone to warping or cracking over time. So, be careful while choosing the frame material.
#3. Consider Hurricane Resistance Level
Checking hurricane resistance is crucial when choosing windows. Understand the pressure a window can withstand during a hurricane before the glass pops out of the frame. It would be better to have impact-resistant windows that can withstand category five hurricanes, which are the strongest.
#4. Adherence to Building Codes
If you want to be on the right side of the law, choose windows that meet the local building codes. While federal building codes might be very generic, Florida building codes pay huge attention to hurricanes and other storms. Buy from manufacturers who understand the local building codes.
#5. Ask About the Installation
Last but not least, find the best installer for your new windows. When choosing a contractor, it's important to remember that many companies offer the same brands.
The quality of installation is just as crucial as the quality of the impact windows you purchase. In fact, the windows and doors are only as good as the company installing them.
So, take the time to select a contractor that offers quality installation to ensure the best results for your investment.
Money-Saving Tips for Window Installation
When looking for the best window installer, the budget-minded side of you will look at different quotes to help make decisions. You will quickly notice that Palm Beach windows cost more money than regular replacement windows. That might make you want to rule them out, but you really shouldn't.
These windows can help you save costs. Here are a few money-saving tips for window installation:
#1. Select the Perfect Replacement Windows
When choosing replacement windows, you've got some great options to consider. Vinyl, wood, and fiberglass windows are all the most popular. They offer versatility in terms of style and color while ensuring energy efficiency.
#2. Consult Your Window Installer for Savings
Want to save money now and in the long haul? Seek advice from your trusted window installer. A good company will suggest the best options for you, not the best options for their company.
#3. Pick the Right Window Company
Choosing an honest window installation company that puts your needs first is vital. They'll be courteous, speedy, and experienced, offering transparent pricing to avoid surprises. Research the company online and look at its reputation;
- Are they licensed, insured, and accredited?
- Are they among the top recommended window companies in your city?
- What's their Google rating?
- Were they voted among the best window companies in any location?
#4. Invest in Energy Efficiency
Don't compromise on energy efficiency. Opting for energy-efficient windows might cost more upfront, but it's a smart move. Double or triple-glazed windows provide superior insulation, lower heating bills, reduce noise, and enhance your home's comfort.
#5. Perfect Timing
Timing is vital when installing windows. While it's possible year-round, consider the seasons. Window companies have busy and slow periods, which impacts prices. Remember the law of supply and demand.
Hire Alco Windows and Doors for Your Palm Beach Windows Installation
At Alco Windows and Doors, we are the top choice for impact window installations in Palm Beach. Our dedicated team takes immense pride in showcasing our exceptional products and highlighting the numerous benefits of having impact windows in your home.
During installation, we provide a comprehensive quote with a detailed cost breakdown for your consideration before you commit to a contract. Our experts re-measure your windows and promptly place an order, keeping you informed at every step.
Additionally, we will provide precise instructions for preparing your property, taking the utmost care by protecting your furniture and flooring to prevent any unintended damage.
The final phase involves a meticulous inspection and walkthrough to ensure flawless installation and your complete satisfaction with the outstanding results.
Contact us today to learn more about Palm Beach windows' benefits and request a free estimate for your project.
Why Choose Alco Windows and Doors?
In an area like Palm Beach County, where the threat of hurricanes and severe weather is an ever-present reality, installing impact windows is necessary for every homeowner.
These windows offer exceptional protection from devastating storms. As such, your choice of a partner for this crucial investment matters. This is where Alco Windows and Doors stands out.
Choosing Alco Windows and Doors means getting both high-quality products and exceptional service. Here are key reasons why you should choose Alco for your Palm Beach windows and doors:
- Superior product quality: Alco Windows and Doors is dedicated to delivering top-notch quality. We use premium products, marine-grade sealants (OSI Sealants), and superior screws (tap-con screws) for installations. We also fill gaps with wood buck frames to ensure a secure fit, preventing bending and warping.
- Outstanding customer service: Alco's commitment to customer satisfaction is evident through frequent and reliable communication. Dedicated account managers provide regular project updates, ensuring clients are informed every step of the way.
- Veteran-owned and operated: The company's veteran ownership reflects a strong sense of discipline and dedication.
- Impressive reviews: With over 300 5-star reviews from satisfied customers, Alco has a proven track record of meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
- Fast-growing company: Alco's recognition as one of the top 50 fastest-growing companies in Florida attests to our success and reliability in the industry.
- Licensed, insured, and accredited: Alco complies with all regulatory requirements, holding state contractor licensing and business insurance. Alco's registration with the BBB further demonstrates our commitment to professionalism and accountability.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the 25 rule for windows in Florida?
The 25% rule for windows in Florida refers to a regulation that requires a minimum of 25% of the exterior wall of a newly constructed residential building to be composed of impact-resistant windows or other hurricane-resistant glazing materials. This rule is part of the Florida Building Code, specifically in areas vulnerable to hurricanes and high winds, such as coastal regions. The goal is to enhance buildings' structural integrity and safety during severe weather events like hurricanes.
- How much do Florida windows cost?
The cost of windows in Florida can vary significantly depending on various factors, including the type of windows, their size, materials, and the level of energy efficiency. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $1,500 or more per window, excluding installation costs. For a more accurate estimate, it's advisable to obtain quotes from local window suppliers and installers based on your specific needs and the style of windows you desire.
- Who is the best window company in Palm Beach?
Determining the best window company in Palm Beach depends on various factors, including individual preferences, specific needs, and budget considerations. However, several well-regarded window companies in the Palm Beach area have consistently received positive reviews and recognition for their services. They include Alco Windows and Doors, Renewal by Andersen, PGT Windows, and Window World, among others.
- What are the best windows to have in Florida?
The best windows in Florida are typically impact-resistant, specifically those rated for hurricane and high-wind protection. These windows are designed to withstand severe weather conditions, including hurricanes, tropical storms, and strong winds, which are common in the state. Impact windows are constructed with laminated glass that can resist impacts from flying debris, helping to protect your home from damage and maintain its structural integrity during storms.