Fort Lauderdale, located in Broward County, Florida, is renowned for its sunny climate and beautiful coastline. However, if you live in this region, you're no stranger to intense storms. We've all experienced the feeling of wondering how our homes will stand up to hurricane-force wind and rain. While some of us get lucky, you can't leave it up to chance to decide the safety of your home.
Impact windows in Fort Lauderdale are integral to holding the property's structural integrity. In this blog, we will explore why hurricane-resistant windows are an essential upgrade for every home in Broward County.
Fort Lauderdale's Non-Negotiable: The Rise of Impact Windows
Did you know that Fort Lauderdale is one of the highest-risk hurricane zones in America? Since 1930, there have been 79 recorded hurricanes in Fort Lauderdale.
The most recent full force of a hurricane happened in 2017. Hurricane Harvey caused a lot of damage and harm to people with homes in Fort Lauderdale. However, those who had impact windows and doors were not hurt.
Therefore, homeowners in Fort Lauderdale must prioritize safety. Traditional windows are vulnerable to high winds and flying debris, which can lead to devastating damage during a storm.
That's where impact windows shine. These specially designed windows are constructed with multiple layers of glass and a solid interlayer to withstand the impact of flying objects. They are an indispensable element of hurricane protection, providing peace of mind during storm season.
Beyond Hurricanes: The Multifaceted Benefits of Impact Windows
While hurricane resistance is the primary reason to invest in impact windows, their benefits extend far beyond just weather protection. These windows offer a range of advantages for your home, including:
1. Enjoy Product Longevity
Impact windows are engineered for durability. Their robust construction means they have a longer lifespan than traditional windows, saving you money on replacements in the long run.
2. Safer in Case of Fires
In a fire, impact windows provide an added layer of home safety in Fort Lauderdale. They are less likely to shatter, reducing the risk of flames and embers entering your home.
3. More Reliable Return on Investment
Investing in hurricane-resistant windows enhances your home's value. They not only improve curb appeal but also increase property value.
4. Enhanced Safety and Security
Florida faces a high burglary attempt every 5 seconds. While doors are often considered a primary entry point, windows remain a risk due to their vulnerability.
Hurricane-resistant windows provide an additional layer of security, making it harder for intruders to break in.
5. Better Noise Reduction
Impact windows are a barrier against exterior noise, keeping unwanted sounds outside. This results in a peaceful living environment inside your home, free from the disturbances of traffic or other external noise sources.
6. Protection from Harmful UV Radiation
Harmful UV rays can have several adverse effects on your home. Due to a chemical reaction, they can cause furniture, flooring, and other materials to discolor over time.
Additionally, UV rays can heat the interior of your home, increasing energy costs. Energy-efficient windows block UV radiation, preserving your home's interior and helping to keep it cool and comfortable.
Energy Efficiency: How Impact Windows Slash Your Energy Bills
Impact windows are made of heavy-duty aluminum frames and double layers of laminated glass, which creates a barrier against temperature extremes. Energy-efficient windows help maintain a consistent indoor temperature, which can lead to lower heating and cooling expenses.
According to the Department of Energy, windows can be responsible for up to 30% of heating and cooling costs due to heat gain and loss. Energy-efficient windows can significantly minimize this drain on your wallet.
As the weather in Fort Lauderdale can be hot and humid, having impact windows ensures your home stays comfortable while minimizing your environmental footprint.
Aesthetic Elevation: Choosing the Right Impact Window Design for Your Home
Investing in impact windows doesn't mean sacrificing your home's aesthetics. These windows come in various styles and designs that perfectly fit your home's architecture.
Whether you prefer a sleek, modern look or a more traditional design, impact windows can complement your home's appearance, enhancing its curb appeal.
Here are the best window types for Fort Lauderdale residents:
- Single-Hung Windows: These windows operate vertically, with the lower panel moving up and down while the upper part remains fixed.
- Double-Hung Windows: These windows have both lower and upper sashes that can be opened and closed, with some featuring a convenient tilt-out option for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Picture Windows: For embracing outdoor beauty, picture windows provide an unobstructed, frameless landscape view, making rooms feel more spacious.
- Casement Windows: Operated by a crank handle, casement windows swing outward, boasting solid glass construction for clear views and excellent energy efficiency.
- Awning Windows: Ideal for rainy regions, awning windows create a water-resistant awning effect, swinging outward, and are known for their weatherproof design and easy maintenance.
- Sliding Windows: Suitable for elongated wall spaces, sliding windows consist of two sections or sashes, often made from individual windows, with one section sliding horizontally over the other to create a sense of more space in smaller rooms.
Learn more about the smart buyer's guide to purchasing impact windows in Broward County in this guide.
Expert Installation: Ensuring Longevity and Optimal Performance
To fully benefit from hurricane-resistance windows, professional installation is crucial. Expert installers like Alco Windows and Doors understand the requirements for impact windows in Fort Lauderdale and ensure they are properly fitted. This guarantees the windows' hurricane-resistant properties and ensures their energy efficiency and longevity.
Why Choose Alco Installers for Broward County Window Solutions
- Open communication: We prioritize frequent and reliable communication with our clients. Our dedicated account managers update customers on project progress, ensuring a transparent and collaborative experience.
- Licensed, insured, and accredited: Alco is fully licensed, insured, and registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This provides customers with peace of mind regarding the company's credibility.
- Superior installation: Alco doesn't compromise on installation quality. We use top-notch products to ensure lasting results, such as marine-grade sealants from OSI Sealants to create superior seals for installed windows and doors. When mounting new windows, we utilize superior screws, known as tap-con screws. Moreover, we accurately fill gaps in concrete from removed windows with wood, known as wood buck frames, to enhance security and prevent bending or warping.
Navigating Broward County's Regulations and Standards
If you reside in Broward County, you are classified as living in a High-Velocity Hurricane Zone (HVHZ). These are regions where the wind speeds can reach as high as 180 m.p.h. or more during a hurricane.
The Florida Building Code requires windows to be impact-resistant or protected if they are within one mile of the coast and have a wind speed of 110 mph or greater.
Broward County has implemented stricter building codes and testing protocols. Residents must ensure that their windows are approved for HVHZs before installation.
Choose Alco Windows and Doors for Impact Window Installation in Fort Lauderdale
Alco Windows and Doors is a reputable company that specializes in installing impact windows, doors, and garage doors for residents in Broward County.
Our unwavering focus revolves around delivering top-tier product quality and exceptional customer service. We take pride in being a veteran-owned and operated business, which reflects a commitment to discipline and excellence.
With an impressive 300+ 5-star reviews from satisfied customers and being recognized as one of the top 50 fastest-growing companies in Florida, you can trust us to improve your home safety in Fort Lauderdale by installing impact windows.
Contact Alco Windows and Doors to learn more about our services and get a free estimate.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are impact windows a must-have for Fort Lauderdale homes?
Impact windows are essential for Fort Lauderdale homes due to the region's vulnerability to hurricanes. They provide unparalleled safety during storms, protecting your home from flying debris and high winds.
- How do impact windows contribute to energy savings in Broward County?
Impact windows enhance energy efficiency by maintaining stable indoor temperatures. Their construction minimizes the need for excessive heating or cooling, resulting in reduced energy bills. In the hot and humid climate of Broward County, impact windows help keep your home comfortable without straining your energy consumption.
- What design options are available for my Fort Lauderdale residence?
Fort Lauderdale residents have a variety of design options for impact windows. These include single-hung, double-hung, picture, casement, awning, and sliding windows. Each style offers unique features and aesthetics to complement your home's architecture and your personal preferences.
- How do Broward County regulations affect my window choices?
Broward County has specific regulations and standards regarding impact windows. Compliance with these regulations is crucial for safety and legal reasons. Working with a certified installer to guide you through the permitting and approval process to ensure your chosen impact windows meet all necessary requirements and standards in Broward County is essential.